Dropping Purple Smoke

A Planetside 2 Outfit

Welcome to the Dropping Purple Smoke forums!! Please register.

PSA: Infantry Nanoweave Armor

Virtia

PSA: Infantry Nanoweave Armor

Post  Virtia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I meant to do a thing on this a while ago, but never got around to it.

Take a look at that chart. That chart leaves exactly one piece of information out, which you can see here. That's the game's weapon sheet, sorted by minimum damage, ascending. Take a look at which weapons do less than 112 damage a shot. There are basically two types: VS weapons, and TR's short-range carbines. That's it.

Unless you are fighting against a lot of TR using their short-range carbines as long-range sniper weapons, we Vanu have literally no reason to buy anything past Nanoweave Rank 1. Rank 1 WILL allow you to survive one more bullet from everything than you would have otherwise, and it is excellent. Ranks 2-5? No improvement in the number of shots survived (this isn't strictly true, but it's close enough).

Note that this all assumes 1000-health non-infiltrator classes.
    Bjourk

Re: PSA: Infantry Nanoweave Armor

Post  Bjourk on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:02 pm

What do you use? Flak armor?

~~~~~~~~~~~DPS~~~~~~~~~~~
    Virtia

Post  Virtia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Bjourk wrote:What do you use? Flak armor?

Either Nanoweave 1 or Flak, depending. I use Flak on my generic Engineer configuration (which is what I use when driving) due to helping to alleviate splash damage from HE shells/rocket pods when I'm trying to repair stuff in hotzones. I use Nanoweave 1 in basically all other circumstances, since surviving the extra bullet is really nice.

The major point being made here is that Nanoweave 1 is totally solid, but that it's not worth investing any more certs in to get higher ranks of Nanoweave.
    Khodexus

Post  Khodexus on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

I've got nano-weave 4 on my Heavy Assault, with resistance shielding. I've found unless I'm in CQC with NC heavies, I outlast pretty much everyone else one on one, and can even survive a point blank grenade explosion if I activate resistance shielding in time, which I couldn't do with only rank 2-3. I may get rank 5 eventually, but the price jump from 200 to 1000 certs for that final 5% just doesn't seem worth it to me at present.

That combination has allowed me to get the drop on entire groups of enemies, such as tanking 2 TR guys simultaneously while mowing down their medic, and both of them without actually getting killed myself.
    Virtia

Post  Virtia on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 pm

The extra health can be sufficient to eat grenades, yes, but that's somewhat situational at best and Flak's more reliable at it.

Resist shields are a large factor though, that's fair, and they will notably amplify the utility of Nanoweave. Personally, I don't play HA much (and I use adrenal when I do), so that somewhat slipped my mind.
    Khodexus

Post  Khodexus on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Heavy Assault is the only class where I use higher than level 1 nano-weave. I don't know how the numbers add up, but the higher levels do seem to help in conjunction with the resist shield.
    Virtia

Post  Virtia on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am

Okay, that matters slightly more than I thought.

The following charts are all my fault, so any errors contained are my mistake.

Any missing data series (eg, Nanoweave 2 stock) has an identical number of shots/kill as the next lower series (Nanoweave 2 is missing, so it's identical to Nanoweave 1).

Shots/Kill Chart

Shots/Kill Graph

First off, as I said, there's basically no difference from Nanoweave 2-5. Technically also as I said, that's not strictly true -- Nanoweave 4 is as good as Nanoweave 5, but only against INCREDIBLY weak <91-damage shots. 91 Damage is only actually possible out of close-range VS weapons equipped with soft-point ammo being used at extreme long range (eg, the VX6-7 Carbine + SP ammo @ 100+m range). You're not fighting against VS, so that's irrelevant. 84 damage shots are, as far as I know, only possible via sniping at >70m ranges with a pistol (lol). Therefore, for all intents and purposes, Nanoweave 4 is identical to Nanoweave 5.

Resist Shields. Wow. First thing to note: Resist shields are REALLY GOOD, which everyone really should have known already. I also just noticed I forgot to include the Resist Shields Only line (eg, no Nanoweave), but it's not actually that different (it takes 1 less shot than Nano1+Resist at all <167 damage) so I don't care enough to remake the graphics.

Other than that, the major conclusions for me are:
    Nano 2+Resist: The only relevant point where Nano2+Resist is better than Nano1+Resist is at 125 damage, which is actually a reasonably common mid-range amount. This is much lower than any real close-range damage or long-range damage though (you're rarely going to straight die to a guy sniping at you with a carbine just because relatively few people use those weapons), so it's pretty situational in terms of its utility. Other than that one data point, it's equal to Nano1+Resist. That's not technically true, but 250 damage is battle rifle CQC (which nobody uses because it sucks), and 91, which I already discussed as being baically a VS-only damage number.

Nano 5+Resist: This is strictly better than everything else, fair enough.

So is Nano>1 worth it? I'm still going with no. The difference between Nano1+Resist and Nano5+Resist is still only ever 1 bullet (except pistol sniping, lol). The major component here is that Resist shields are amazing, not that Nanoweave does anything useful. Resist Shields with Nano 0 already let you survive 12 bullets at the very common 143 damage/shot figure (you die on #13), whereas Nano 1 only lets you survive 7 bullets (you die on the 8th). With neither, you'd die on the 7th hit.

Last edited by Virtia on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Khodexus

Post  Khodexus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 am

The resist shields do actually help against sniper headshots. I've tested that out. Problem is, unless the sniper is incompetent, or unlucky, you're usually dead before you have a chance to activate resist shields, unless you're really good at spotting snipers before they spot you.
    Virtia

Post  Virtia on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 am

I've updated the charts a bit since your last post, but everyone else should only see the new ones. 45% resist seems a pretty agreed-upon number, although I know it does less than that against certain explosives. There seems to be a weird maximum soak value or something for a single shot, I'm not too clear on it (as I've said, I don't really play much HA).

Khodexus wrote:The resist shields do actually help against sniper headshots. I've tested that out. Problem is, unless the sniper is incompetent, or unlucky, you're usually dead before you have a chance to activate resist shields, unless you're really good at spotting snipers before they spot you.

I seem to recall this was tested after one of the more recent patches, and Resists stopped working against them. Maybe not. Are you sure you were taking headshots and not just body?

Either way, again, this falls under the category of "Resist shields are really good" -- Nanoweave >1 is still kind of a waste. The point to note here is that, unless you go all the way to Nano5, Nanoweave will only buy you one additional hit taken whether you're using Resist Shields or not. At Nano5, you gain 2 additional hits (over stock) against extreme range non-sniper-rifle shots, and 2 additional hits against basically all shots when using Resist Shields when compared to Resist Shields without any Nanoweave.

For its price, I just don't see Nanoweave 5 ever being worth it. There's too many things I'd rather buy for 1000 cert (like Drifter Jets!)

You seem to play HA a fair bit; do you have any comments about my analysis of the various HA LMGs? To reiterate myself once again, I don't play HA that often, so any significant hands-on insight you could provide would be valuable if I've misrepresented one of them somehow.
    Khodexus

Post  Khodexus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I'll take a look, though I haven't used all of the LMGs yet.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:54 am